Whether you got your cat from a pet store, breeder, animal shelter, rescue group, or humane society, you want to make sure that you keep that animal on the same diet that he is currently on. If you would like to feed your cat a certain type of food, feel free to make the change to that food, but be sure to make the change slowly. You might want to keep the pet on the food he is used to for a few days just to keep the cat comfortable. Then for the next few days you might want to mix 50 % of the new food and 50 % of the old food together. For another few days you might want to mix 25 % of the old food with 75 % of the new food. At that point, you can eliminate the old food all together.
There really is a difference in many types of cat food. You want to make sure you look at the ingredients in each brand. When you do, you’ll find that there are a different percentage of certain ingredients in each. You also have a decision to make between wet and dry food. There are pros and cons with each type.
Another thing to do is ask a breeder. Just be real open minded because some breeders will tell you one type of food is better and another breeder will tell you just the opposite. Just make your own decision based on the information from cat breeders and information from your veterinarian.
You’re going to find that most cats naturally like toys, and there are so many different toys to try. My suggestion is to buy some different ones and let your cat decide on which one he likes best. The greatest thing about toys is that if you introduce a toy to your cat, he immediately associates the toy with you. This kind act and shared play, really helps the bonding process.
The cat toys that I always like are the ones that have something at the end of a long thin flimsy stem. The obejct can vary, and can be something as simple as a tiny feather. One of the reasons I like this type of toy so much is that because of the length of the stem, it gives you a good chance to play with the cat, and move the object around in different places very quickly. Another great thing about this type of toy is that it keeps your hand away from where the cat is playing.
Balls are as great toy, and the reason I like them is simple: they roll. When your cat figures out on his own that if he push a ball and it rolls, he can have hours of fun by himself. There are so many different types of balls you could use… here are just a few:
These are probably the most common balls that people use. They might be a little large for a cat, but many cats like to play with the material. What many animals like about tennis balls is that they roll very easily. Once they figure out that if they push it and it rolls, it provides a lot of entertainment.
BALLS THAT SQUEAK
You really see your cat’s personality come out as he finds out that if he bites and squeezes down on the toy, this funny sound comes out.
BASKETBALLS AND OTHER LARGE BALLS
Some of the cats that I have seen mostly go crazy over large balls are cats that have a lot of energy. Sometimes if you just kick the ball, the cat will take off after it, and when he gets to the ball, start pushing it crazily with his nose and front feet. You really see the cat getting into it and having fun.
If you are just bringing home a dog or cat from a humane society or animal shelter and they were exposed to other dogs or cats, they might have developed either “kennel cough” or “worms”. Both of these are easily treated. You just want to make sure that your veterinarian gets a chance to take a look at them soon after you bring them home.
When you first bring your cat to your veterinarian, and if you have never owned a cat, make sure you let your veterinarian know that. Veterinarians are not only there for the health and safety of your cat, but they are also there to make sure that you are educated and that your friend stays healthy and lives a long life. They will share with you all the things that you need to do to keep your pet healthy and happy. Their staff will also let you know how often the animal needs to be checked and show you how to keep your pet up to date on their shots.
Remember that your cat cannot tell you that he or she doesn’t feel well. By having a close relationship with your cat and truly getting to know him or her, you can more easily spot abnormalities in behavior earlier. Catching something at an early stage, whether it is simple or more complex, will save you money and most importantly, keep your pet healthy. Just always pay attention and be aware.